The report about the retail chain’s Slovakian operations has been published for the first time and the company plans to prepare similar reports every 2 years.
It has been prepared according to the Global Reporting Initiative’s standard and covers the business year 2020 (from 1 March 2019 to 29 February 2020). The report was not a fully independent initiative, the core content had been defined by the parent company for all countries.
Some interesting achievements from the report are the following, more can be read in the report itself:
- In the 2020 business year, the company offered up to 837 certified products (Fairtrade, Bio, FSC, UTZ, MSC, GOTS, Rainforest Alliance).
- They worked with 74 local suppliers , who supplied their products to 92% of our stores.
- Kaufland saved 15 tons of plastic per year by removing the plastic foil from the cucumbers.
- They removed disposable plastic bags, disposable plastic dishes, straws and cups from stores. As an alternative to plastic and fruit bags for fruits and vegetables, they offer an organic cotton net.
- With energy efficiency 1,834 tons of CO2 was saved in the 2020 business year, 49 out of 70 stores use LED lighting, water consumption fell by 9% year-on-year and our 75% of waste is separately collected meeting the target of Slovakia and the EU.
- Since 2018, the company have managed to collect almost 60,000 kg of used cooking oil and and since December 2020 they placed collection containers in front of all stores.
- In the 2020 business year, they donated € 522,744 in financial value.
Cover picture: depositphotos